Home > Home Insurers > Halifax


Founded in 1853 as a humble building society, Halifax has grown to now offer a wide range of financial products and services to millions of eligible customers across the UK.

Who underwrites Halifax home insurance?

All Halifax home insurance policies are underwritten by Lloyds Bank General Insurance Limited.

Types of home insurance available with Halifax

Halifax offers three types of home insurance:

  • Buildings insurance
  • Contents insurance
  • Combined buildings and contents insurance

These insurance types are available across three levels of cover: Bronze, Silver, and Gold.

The table below highlights the basics of what each level covers.

PolicyPolicy TypeBuildings maximum sum insuredContents maximum sum insured
Halifax Home Insurance BronzeBuildingsFull rebuild costN/A
Halifax Home Insurance SilverBuildingsFull rebuild costN/A
Halifax Home Insurance GoldBuildingsFull rebuild costN/A
Halifax Home Insurance BronzeContentsN/A£50,000
Halifax Home Insurance SilverContentsN/A£100,000
Halifax Home Insurance GoldContentsN/A£250,000

What does Halifax buildings insurance offer as standard?

Buildings cover with Halifax is designed to give you reassurance and peace of mind should the worst happen to your home. Their buildings insurance is available across three different tiers: Bronze, Silver, and Gold. The policy you opt for will depend on your individual needs.

The table below gives a comparison of all three levels of cover:

CoverHalifax Home Insurance  BronzeHalifax Home Insurance SilverHalifax Home Insurance Gold
Rebuilding or repairing of your home as a result of fire, storm, flood, subsidence, or other damage.Full rebuild costFull rebuild costFull rebuild cost
Accidental DamageN/AFull rebuild costFull rebuild cost
Trace and access£5,000£5,000£5,000
Blocked drains£1,000£1,000£1,000
Plants in the garden£1,000£1,000£1,000
If you need somewhere else to stay (if you live at the property)£100,000£100,000£100,000
Loss of rent (if you’re a landlord)£100,000N/AN/A
Home owner’s legal responsibility£2 million£2 million£2 million
Damage by emergency servicesFull rebuild cost except for plants, trees and shrubs where the limit is £1,000Full rebuild cost except for plants, trees and shrubs where the limit is £1,000Full rebuild cost except for plants, trees and shrubs where the limit is £1,000

What does Halifax contents insurance offer as standard?

Contents insurance is designed to cover the items in your home. This includes personal belongings you could take with you if you moved home – such as furniture, clothing, electronics, carpets and curtains.

Like their buildings insurance, Halifax’s contents policies are available over three cover types.

To help decide which is right for you, the table below provides a comparison of all three levels of cover:

CoverHalifax Home Insurance BronzeHalifax Home Insurance SilverHalifax Home Insurance Gold
Accidental DamageN/A£100,000£250,000
Damage to frozen food£500£500£500
Visitors’ belongings£500£500£500
If you need somewhere else to stay£25,000*£25,000*£25,000*
Money in your home£500£500£500
Contents in outbuildings£5,000£5,000£5,000
Contents in the open£1,000£1,000£1,000
Trees & plants£1,000£1,000£1,000
Metered water£1,000£1,000£1,000
Personal legal responsibility£2 million*£2 million*£2 million*
Employer’s responsibility for domestic staff£10 million*£10 million*£10 million*
Protection for tenants£10,000*£10,000*£10,000*
Tenant’s home improvements£5,000*£5,000*£5,000*
Damage by emergency servicesContents sum insured except for plants, trees and shrubs where the limit is £1,000Contents sum insured except for plants, trees and shrubs where the limit is £1,000Contents sum insured except for plants, trees and shrubs where the limit is £1,000

The above-mentioned cover limits are considered part of, not in addition to, your overall Contents Cover limit. The exception of these limits is marked with an *.

Optional extras

Accidental damage cover (included with Silver and Gold)

Provides cover against accidental damage to both your home and the belongings in it. So for example, if a golf ball goes through your window or you spill coffee on your new carpet, you’ll be covered for the repair or replacement of these items.

Covers up to £50,000 should you need to take legal action for things such as contract, employment and neighbour disputes, as well as personal injury and clinical negligence claims.

Away from Home cover

Covers the items you have with you when you leave the house, such as your phone, watch, or bicycle. This also includes cover for students’ contents in university halls of residence or other types of student accommodation.

Home emergency cover

Protects against emergency repairs not normally covered by your home insurance. Pays for repairs up to £1,000 a time, with no excess to pay. Also includes access to a 24-hour helpline.

Excess and no-claims discount

If you do need to make a claim through your home insurance, you’ll need to pay out a minimum fee, known as an excess. Excess is usually split into compulsory excess and voluntary excess.

Compulsory excess is set by your home insurer and is a fixed amount that you must pay towards any claim. This amount is non-negotiable and will depend on the type of policy that you have and the insurer’s terms and conditions.

Voluntary excess is an amount that you, the policyholder, chooses to pay towards a claim. This is in addition to the compulsory excess. When selecting an insurance policy, you’ll usually be allowed to choose the amount of voluntary excess you want to pay.  H

The benefit of choosing a higher voluntary excess is that it can reduce the overall cost of your insurance premiums. Insurers see customers who choose a higher voluntary excess as being more responsible and less likely to make small claims. As a result, they may offer a lower premium.

However, it’s important to note that you should only choose a voluntary excess that you can comfortably afford to pay in the event of a claim. You should also consider whether the savings you make on your premium are worth the additional cost you would incur if you needed to make a claim.

For their Bronze, Silver, and Gold home insurance policies, Halifax has the minimum compulsory excess for claims made on the following: –

  • Leaking water compulsory excess: £500 or your chosen excess, whichever is higher.
  • Subsidence, heave, or landslip on your property compulsory excess: £1,000
  • Locks and keys compulsory excess: £25

No-claims discount

A no claims discount (NCD), also known as a no claims bonus, is a discount sometimes offered by home insurance providers to customers who do not make a claim on their policy during a particular period.

The discount is seen as a reward for being a responsible home owner, and is typically applied to the cost of the insurance premium at the time of renewal.

The exact discount you’ll receive varies between insurers and policies, but it usually increases for every consecutive year you don’t make a claim up to a maximum amount.

Halifax does not mention whether it offers a no claims bonus on any of its home insurance policies.

Defaqto rating

Both the Silver and Gold levels of home insurance cover from Halifax have been awarded five-stars by Defaqto for 2023. Their Bronze level of cover has been awarded three stars, meaning it is a product that provides an average level of features and benefits.

Compare gas and electricity deals

We monitor the market and automatically switch you to better deals for free.