Home > Home Insurers > More Than

More Than

Since launching in 2001, More Than (also known as ‘MORE TH>N’)  has always offered its customers a wide choice of insurance products, including car, pet, and home insurance.

More Than belongs to RSA Insurance Group Limited, meaning it benefits from RSA’s 300-plus years of experience in the insurance industry.

The storied history doesn’t end there, either. For seven consecutive years, from 2017 to 2023, trusted financial information company Moneyfacts have awarded More Than five stars for both its Primary and Upgraded home insurance cover.

Who underwrites More Than home insurance?

Home insurance policies from More Than are underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc.

Types of home insurance available

More Than offers three types of home insurance policies:

  • Buildings insurance
  • Contents insurance
  • Combined buildings and contents insurance

These insurance types are available across two tiers: Primary and Upgraded.

The table below compares both types of policies and the cover they provide.

PolicyPolicy TypeBuilding maximum sum insuredContents maximum sum insured
PrimaryBuildings£1 millionN/A
PrimaryCombined buildings and contents£1 million£100,000
UpgradedBuildings£1 millionN/A
UpgradedCombined buildings and contents£1 million£100,000

What does More Than home insurance cover as standard?

More Than offers two types of home insurance cover, with both tiers offering policy options for buildings, contents, or combined buildings and contents insurance.

More Than Primary home insurance

More Than’s standard level of home insurance cover. Includes office equipment up to £7,500, as well as digital download cover of £2,500. Also offers a range of optional extras to help customers tailor their policy to meet their needs.

More Than Upgraded home insurance

Includes everything found in More Than’s Primary policy option, as well as a number of optional extras, including the following:

Trace and access

Covers up to £5,000 to cover the cost of removing and replacing part of the building to repair a heating or water system due to a leak. For example, being required to lift floorboards in order to locate and repair a leak, and to replace any damaged floorboards.

Special event cover

Increases content cover by 10% both one month before and after a ‘special event’ which is classed as events such as Christmas, birthdays, and anniversaries.

Garden cover

Provides up to £2,000 in gardens content cover, including trees, hedges, shrubs, and plants. Also includes up to £2,000 for garden furniture that has been left out.

Student cover

Provides up to £11,250 for your child or children’s contents when they go to college or university.

Not sure which level of cover is right for you?

The table below shows how both levels of cover compare.

CoverMore Than Primary Cover (Contents)More Than Primary Cover (Buildings)More Than Primary Cover (Combined buildings and contents)More Than Upgraded Cover (contents)More Than Upgraded Cover (buildings)More Than Upgraded Cover (combined buildings and contents)
Home contents coverUp to £100,000N/AN/AUp to £100,000N/AUp to £100,000
Property owner’s liabilityN/AUp to £1 millionUp to £1 millionN/AUp to £1 millionUp to £1 million
Occupiers and personal liability£1 millionN/A£1 million£1 millionN/A£1 million
Home emergency assistance£200£200£200£1,000£1,000£1,000
Alternative accommodation (contents)£15,000N/AN/A£15,000N/AN/A
Alternative accommodation (buildings)N/A£30,000N/AN/A£100,000N/A
Alternative accommodation (combined)N/AN/A£45,000N/AN/A£115,000
Locks and keys£1,000£1,000£1,000£1,000£1,000£1,000
Freezer food£500N/A£500£500N/A£500
Office and computer equipment£7,500N/A£7,500£7,500N/A£7,500
Celebration contents coverN/AN/AExtra 10% contents coverN/AN/AExtra 10% contents cover
Garden contentsN/AN/AN/A£2,000N/A£2,000
Garden PlantsN/AN/AN/A£2,000N/A£2,000
Theft from a garage or outbuilding£3,000N/A£3,000£3,000N/A£3,000
Student coverN/AN/AN/A£11,250N/A£11,250
Damage caused by a heating or water system leakN/AN/AN/AN/A£5,000£5,000
Accidental loss of metered water or oil coverN/AN/AN/A£2,000N/AN/A
Visitors possessions cover£2,500N/A£2,500£2,500N/A£2,500
Money and credit cards cover£500N/A£500£500N/A£500
Deeds and documents cover£2,500N/A£2,500£2,500N/A£2,500
Electronic downloads cover£2,500N/A£2,500£2,500N/A£2,500
Full Accident cover (including mirrors, TV, audio)£200£200£200£200£200£200
Damage to your goden done by emergency services £5,000£5,000 £5,000£5,000
Water and oil leaksN/AN/AN/AN/A£5,000£5,000
Trace and access leaksN/AN/AN/AN/A£5,000£5,000

Optional extras

Both of More Than’s policy types have a range of optional extras that can be added to your cover.

Although these add-ons will increase the cost of your monthly or annual premium, they will allow you to customise your cover to suit your needs.

Optional ExtraMore Than Primary cover (contents)More Than Primary cover (buildings)More Than Primary cover (combined contents and buildings)More Than Upgraded cover (contents)More Than Upgraded cover (buildings)More Than Upgraded cover (combined buildings and contents)
Home Emergency assistance cover£1,000N/A£1,000£1,000N/A£1,000
Legal services£50,000N/A£50,000£50,000N/A£50,000
Personal possessionsN/AN/AN/A£1,000 per itemN/A£1,000
Pedal cyclesN/AN/AN/A£2,500N/A£2,500
Trace and accessN/A£5,000£5,000N/A£5,000£5,000
Alternative accommodation (buildings)N/AN/AN/AN/A£100,000£100,000
Full Accidental Damage (includes drains, cables, pipes, tanks, glass, building damage etc.)N/AN/AN/A£1,000N/A£1,000

Unfortunately, More Than does not include any type of ‘matching sets’ cover across either its standard or upgraded policies, nor its optional extras. This means that, for example, if a part of your bathroom suite is damaged, you will not be covered for the replacement of the full suite.

This is something many home insurance providers will include as an add-on, and More Than not offering this feature may be seen as a drawback to some potential customers.

Excess and no-claims discount

When making a claim through your home insurance, you’ll need to pay a minimum fee known as an excess. An excess on claims can be either compulsory or voluntary.

Compulsory excess, also known as fixed excess, is the amount set by your home insurance provider, while vole voluntary excess is an amount paid set by you, the customer.

Whichever amount you choose to pay as voluntary excess will be in addition to the amount you pay for compulsory excess. The purpose of voluntary excess is that, the more you choose to pay, the lower your premium will be.

Compulsory excess on More Than’s Primary and Upgraded policies are as follows:-

  • Buildings (standard claims): £50 (plus your chosen voluntary excess)
  • Subsidence: £1,000
  • Water leak (escape of water): £350
  • Accidental damage £250

No-claims discount

Unfortunately, More Than does not offer any form of no-claims discount with any of their policies.

Defaqto rating

More Than gets a three (out of a maximum of five) star rating for both their policy types across buildings and contents insurance with Defaqto.

Compare home insurance deals

We find deals from all the top providers and help you switch.