Looking to save money on your bills and keep energy prices low? The first port of call should be auditing your energy habits – don’t worry, it’s more fun than it sounds.
There are some simple ways you can make your energy bills cheaper. Switching lights off, turning appliances onto standby, it all counts when it comes to saving you money and getting those energy prices down. According to Ofgem, you could save up to £300. Amazing, right? Think of those shiny new things you could buy with all that money saved! New sound system? Ooo. Fancy shoes? Yes, please. An electric guitar? Why not?
Hmm… that got your attention! Want to see how energy efficient you are? Take our quiz below and see where you could improve.
How well insulated is your house?
- It’s warm and toasty – the loft and cavity walls have been insulated and we have triple glazing
- It’s fairly warm, but feels chilly in winter – we have thick curtains, draft excluders on most doors and double glazing
- It’s drafty and cold – we have taken no measures to insulate our home
How efficient is your boiler?
- It’s brand new and seems very efficient
- It’s been around a few years and does a good job
- It’s struggling and probably needs replacing in the near future
How close an eye do you keep on your energy consumption?
- I watch my monitor like a hawk
- I don’t think about it that much, but I do always try to turn lights and unused appliances off
- I have literally never thought about it
How much attention to you pay to the energy deal you’re on?
- I switch providers regularly using Switchcraft to get the best gas and electric deals [link to article 1]
- I have switched providers [link to article 2] once or twice to get better energy deals, but it’s time consuming
- I have been with the same provider for ages. I never thought about trying to get my energy prices down.
Do you try to save water?
- Yes, I have a water-saving shower head and try not to waste water unnecessarily
- I try not to run huge baths or use the hose pipe too much
- I don’t’ really think about it, I just use what I need
Is your kettle eco-friendly?
- Yes, it’s the latest eco-friendly model
- No, but I was thinking about getting one – sounds interesting
- I have never heard of an eco-friendly kettle before
You’re an energy hero, saving energy wherever you go. We bet you even turn lights off in other people’s houses, right? Congratulations. Other additions to your home that you could consider include, solar panels, energy efficient lighting or a smart meter.
You’ve made a great start on making your home more efficient, but there are some great things you can do to make it even better. It is a big job but getting your loft and cavity walls insulated could really boost the efficiency of your home. A new boiler and a good energy monitor could also help keep your energy prices low. Plus, you seriously need to think about switching provider more regularly to get a better energy deal – you could save up to £300.
It’s time to get stuck into a new plan for how efficient you are – not only is it good for the environment, but it will save you money. If you haven’t already got double glazing, this is a great place to start. But, for smaller steps to greatness, try getting an energy monitor so you can see how much energy you’re using day-to-day and make small changes – lights off, heating off when you’re not in – to start saving and get those energy prices down. Every step counts!
Saving the planet and saving money, all at the same time? That’s too good to be true! Surely? Nope, simply flicking off a few lights; being smarter with your home improvements and getting a good energy deal could make a real difference to your bank balance – and the world. It all starts here.
Switch your energy supplier
To help with rising energy costs you can should lower your energy bills by trusting us to find you great energy deals, year after year.
We believe that everyone deserves a fair deal on energy. Switchcraft is a free auto switching service that scours the energy market for great gas and electricity deals for you. Signing up takes less than 3 minutes and after that, our system automatically switches you to a new deal each year. Save money on your bills by doing nothing. And you’ll always be in control if, for whatever reason, you can cancel at any time.